Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 298: Twice Baked Potatoes


Yield: 2 potatoes. 4 servings
Time (Start to Finish): 2 hours

Ingredients:
2 russet potatoes
1 cup agiago cheese
8 oz sour cream
3 Tbsp butter
¼ cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup green onion
3-4 slices bacon, cooked
1/8 cup parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Bake the potatoes until they are cooked through. I put them in the microwave for about 10 min. poke a few holes in them with a fork. You can bake them in the oven at 350F for about an hour
2. Take them out and let them cool for about 7 min. cut them in half and with a spoon scrape out the filling into a bowl, keeping the shell of the skin intact. You can leave some potato there to hold its shape
3. Preheat oven to 400F
4. Take the butter and melt it on the stove with the garlic, chopped as fine as you can, and the onions, chopped up. Just cook until the butter melts. Add it to the potatoes with the cream and stir.
5. Add sour cream, as much as you like. I usually add about ¼ cup and stir
6. Add salt and pepper
7. Take the cooked bacon and chop it up. Add it as well
8. Add the parmesan cheese, and about ¾ cup of the asiago cheese
9. Taste and adjust the seasoning. You can add more cheese, more cream or butter. However you like
10. Take the potato skins and put them on a foil lined cookie sheet
11. Fill the potato skins with the filling, mounding it up
12. Sprinkle on top more asiago cheese and bake until the cheese melts and browns.

Rating: 4.5 strawberries
Notes: I remember a time in New York a man working in a restaurant asked me if I wanted a bag of potatoes. They were giving away tons of bags (I guess they had ordered too many. I never knew why) and I took one home and had a baked potato party. I made these. They are so homey and warm! It is a little rainy out and the perfect comfort food. You can change up the cheese, add anything you like, and that is why I like them. They are different every time depending on what I have in the fridge! Someone also told me I should try seasoning the skins, which I might try next time…maybe soak it in a broth? Spice rub?

No comments: