Friday, June 4, 2010
Day 303: Popovers
Yield: 6 popovers
Time (Start to Finish): 30 min
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole milk
2 Tbsp butter, melted
jam, salted butter, and marmalade
1. Popovers are sensitive, but once you do them, you will see they are easy, so follow the instructions and all will be ok!
2. Preheat the oven to 450F and place the rack the second highest from the bottom
3. Take a popover pan or a 6 muffin tin and place it on a cookie sheet
4. Place it in the oven to get hot
5. In a bowl, place the flour and the salt
6. Warm the milk and vanilla in the microwave so it is a little warmer than room temp, and add the eggs to it. Mix to combine. You want this mixture room temp, and completely mixed.
7. Whisk it into the dry ingredients until it is barely combined. Tiny pieces of flour is ok, you don’t want to over mix
8. Take the pan out of the oven and brush with the melted butter. Brush the top of the pan too
9. Pour the batter into the pan (its nice to use something with a lip so its easy to pour) about half way full and put in the oven
10. DO NOT PEAK IN ON THEM!
11. Bake for 17 min at 450F and then lower the heat to 375F and bake for 10 min. check now and if they are golden brown, remove. Otherwise bake another 5 min
12. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Rating: 4.5 strawberries
Notes: Popovers are one of those foods that blows my mind..why does it do that in the oven? It is so cool! They are so fun! They taste like a sweet roll, and they are best right out of the oven. They turn hard as a rock the next day. I ate these all morning. I dipped them in melted butter…I know..it was intense…I recommend it only for those crazy enough to try. A nice flavored butter would go great, and serving at dinner or breakfast is the perfect way! Enjoy this crazy rolls!