Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 251: Tomato Mango Sauce

Yield: 1 pot
Time (Start to Finish): 25 min

Ingredients:
1 small yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
1 small apple, peeled and cubed
½ mango, peeled and cubed
1 jar tomato sauce (any flavor, I like 3 cheese)
½ cup white wine
1 small handful cilantro, chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper

Directions:
1. In a sauce pan, heat up the olive oil, garlic, and onion and cook until they are translucent
2. Add the apple and cook a little bit to soften it up
3. Add the tomato sauce, and stir
4. Add the wine, mango, and salt and pepper to taste
5. Stir and let it come to a simmer and turn off
6. Add the cilantro at the end and enjoy!

Rating: 4 strawberries
Notes: I first made this in Texas with These United States as our last meal together. I love making food for them, and it was a nice send off to do what I do best. Colin particularly liked my sauce with the apple and mango, and I have been meaning to make it again and put it on this blog, so here it is! The mango and apple add a ton of sweetness, and the cilantro ties in with the mango quite a bit. It is really a unique and great sauce. I know, I should make the tomato part from scratch too, which is why I didn’t give it a higher rating, but it works nonetheless, and is quick. Thanks for the meal guys!

No comments: