Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 179: Toffee Almond Meringue Cookies

Yield: 12-14 cookies
Time (Start to Finish): 1-2 hours

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
¼ cup toffee pieces

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 250F and line or grease a cookie sheet. Also get a pastry bag ready with a tip big enough to allow the toffee pieces to pass through
2. In a mixer, blend the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they begin to turn white.
3. Slowly add the sugar while the mixer is on and them mix until they reach firm peak. Firm peak means when you turn the mixer off and you take the whip out, it makes a peak that stands up on its own, it doesn’t droop down like a soft serve ice cream.
4. Fold in the almond and the toffee pieces and put in the pastry bag
5. Pipe out shapes making sure whatever you make, they are even all the way around. I made round ones
6. Bake for about 45 min until they BARELY start to brown
7. Serve when cool and store airtight or they will become sticky the next day

Rating: 4 strawberries
Notes: These were super tasty, but I had a couple problems. I DIDN’T make my pastry bag have a hole big enough for the toffee pieces and let me tell you, this stuff is STICKY!! I for sure said a few swear words…glad I was alone. Its funny how such a light delicate cookie can bring out the worst in me. Also, I didn’t store them well, so the next day they were a sticky mess on the plate…it still tasted great though. And the other thing I did was the toffee sticks to the bottom of the cookie sheet so mine wasn’t oiled well. I would even say wait until they are cool before depaning if you didn’t grease the pan well. They taste wonderful, and are light, delicate, and perfect, but you must be careful with these! And of course, when you serve them, act like there wasn’t a care in the world while you made them…THAT is talent.

No comments: