Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 189: Caramel Coconut Cookies

Yield: 12 cookies
Time (Start to Finish): 30 min

Ingredients:
¼ cup butter
¼ cup half and half
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup sugar
pinch salt
20 caramels
1 ½ cup quick oats
½ cup shredded coconut
12 chocolate wafer cookies

Directions:
1. Lay out all the wafer cookies flat side up so you can spoon the mixture on them.
2. In a saucepan, mix the butter, half and half and sugar to a boil
3. Add the vanilla and salt and cook for about a minute.
4. Add the caramels and stir until they are melted and let cook for a minute
5. Add the oats and the coconut and stir
6. Remove from the heat and stir
7. Let cool a little but until it becomes dough like
8. Spoon mixture onto chocolate wafer cookies and serve warm or cool

Rating: 4 strawberries
Notes: These were really good! I made them in a guest kitchen, thanks Mac. They are sweet and rich, so one is almost too much, and let me tell you, I ate WAY too many of those caramels before I made the cookies, so be sure to either buy extra or just enough. I think you could add a touch f cayenne to make them a little spicy, or pour melted chocolate on top. I think these remind me of the girl scout cookies samoas. YUMMY! Sorry for the blurry photo, I was having a sugar high.

No comments: