Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day 12: Maple Bacon Soufflé Omelette

Yield: 2 people
Time (Start to Finish): 45 min

Ingredients:
4 strips bacon
3 eggs (separated)
5 Tbsp. maple syrup
½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
Pan spray

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Preheat skillet to mid heat
2. Cook bacon in separate pan until crispy and tear into pieces (small) and set aside
3. Take egg yolks and whip with whisk until pale and light...about 3-4 min (I recommend using a hand whisk for this)
4. Add syrup, vanilla, and salt and mix
5. In a separate clean bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peak ( meaning when you take the whisk out they stand up on their own, no drooping) this takes about 10 or so min, so I recommend a mixer in high.
6. Add the whites to the yolks and mix together. Don’t let sit around at this point
7. Pour onto skillet that is sprayed with pan spray. Spread out and sprinkle bacon pieces on top.
8. Cook for about 4 min until starts to cook on bottom and through.
9. Finish cooking on the oven until the eggs are cooked through, about 4 more minutes or until bottom is light brown
10. Should slide out of the skillet, but if not, slice and serve however you like!

Rating: 4.5 strawberries
Notes: Light, airy and a great morning starter. I ate it on my way to work for the start of a long day and it really stuck with me, but was light enough to not feel heavy. I thank my boy from Colorado Matt K. for introducing me to this…I added the bacon part. Good breakfasts are had in Matt’s house.

No comments: