Yield: 2-3 people
Time (Start to Finish): 1 hour
2 red potatoes
2 blue potatoes
1 small gold potato
1 hard boiled egg
½ cup caramelized onion (cooked on med until golden brown, takes like 10 min)
3 strips cooked bacon
1 celery stalk
3 sprigs cilantro
salt and pepper
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp mustard
2 tsp vinegar (red wine or apple cider)
1. Cut potatoes into cubes, skins on and boil until BARELY soft. A knife should have a little resistance going in and cool
2. Make sure boiled egg and onion are cooled too, they don’t have to be cold. Cut egg into same size cubed
3. Cut up celery into same size pieces as potato, and chop up bacon and cilantro.
4. Throw all into a bowl and lightly toss together. Add salt and pepper
5. In a separate bowl mix mayo mustard and vinegar. Pour onto the mix, about 2/3 and mix, adding salt and pepper to taste. I like light dressing and didn’t use all of it, but add more if you like a lot of sauce.
6. Let cool and serve! Yummy in your tummy!
Rating: 4.5 strawberries
Notes: Happy Half Birthday to me!!! What a better way to celebrate than relishing in my irish/polish heritage and making something with potatoes! This salad is so yummy and not at all overpowering, like it seems like it would be. Laurence, you are a genius with the celery idea. I normally leave it out, but this salad craves a bit of crunch, so you rock. The flavors work really well without shocking your mouth and would go great at any picnic, or just eating it out of the bowl like my roomie Christina and I did. I love half birthdays! It was a good bright day and it was nice to come home and make something up…a lot of it was thrown together from things in my fridge. Oh, and the 3 different potatoes I think totally make it rock. And its named potato salad 1 because there will be others...you wait and see…