Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day 29: Peppered Watermelon Granita

Yield: 1 9x13 Casserole Dish
Time (Start to Finish): 3 hours

Ingredients:
1 round watermelon (about 10 cups)
2 juiced lemons
½ cup granulated sugar
½ tsp salt
pepper, freshly cracked

Directions:
1. Peel watermelon and cut into cubes. This recipe is dependant on a good watermelon, so if the store doesn’t have a nice looking one, I suggest making another flavor.
2. Put melon pieces in blender with sugar, lemon and salt. I had to do it in 2 batches.
3. Strain into a bowl and taste. If you need to add more sugar or lemon, feel free. The way it tastes now is how the final result will taste.
4. Pour into a casserole dish, it should come about half way up and place in the freezer uncovered.
5. In 1 hour, take out of freezer and scrape with a knife, breaking up the chunks, and place back in freezer. Repeat this every hour until frozen and fluffy.
6. Serve in a dish or watermelon shell, and crack pepper onto the top when you serve. Looks like watermelon seeds! Not too much pepper though, it will be overpowering.

Rating: 5 strawberries
Notes: I think this is so cute with the pepper looking like seeds in the melon. Tastes SO good too! If you want to go the whole nine yards, make a lime granita as well and put it on the bottom of a glass bowl so it looks like the skin of the melon. The flavors mix really well too, and just a touch of pepper really makes it incredible! Happy 4 weeks to me!! It’s almost a month and even though this week I have lacked motivation to blog, I have no for one second lost steam to cook. I think those around me are finally seeing im serious about this. It has also been BEAUTIFUL out yesterday and today, and a frozen watermelon treat is a perfect addition to the day. Sarah Law, remember that watermelon we carried all over high sierra and never ate and went bad and I threw away? This is in memory of that melon! Also, its for Laurence who claims to love ice, so I thought I would make something icy. Its super yummy, and even though it takes a lot of patience, I think it is so worth it in the end. Best summer treat known to man.

No comments: