Yield: 1-2 people
Time (Start to Finish): 1 hour
1-2 bell peppers
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
¼ cup chopped yellow onion
1 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper
1 ½ cup chicken stock
¼- ½ cup white rice (uncooked)
½ cup eggplant
¼ cup black beans (cooked)
2-4 slices mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In saucepan on med – med high cook oil, onion, and garlic until soft. Add salt pepper and cumin
3. Add rice and slowly add chicken stock until rice is cooked and rice is slightly moist, but not wet. Stay with it and keep stirring. About 10 min.
4. Cook eggplant cut into 2 inch pieces until just soft on a skillet. Mix into rice.
5. Take bell pepper(s) and cut top off and remove seeds and stem. Make sure they are still intact, and slightly trim the bottom so it can stand up on its own.
6. Fill with layers, rice, beans, cheese until filled. Make sure cheese is your last layer and they are very filled.
7. Put on sheet pan and wrap foil around the bottom to make sure they stand up.
8. Bake for 15 min or until cheese melts and runs down sides and slightly browns
9. Serve with more of the rice if any is left and enjoy!
Rating: 3.5 strawberries
Notes: If any of you have EVER met me, know me, or read my blog, you will know the one food I don’t like is bell peppers, but we got these beautiful ones in a CSA box, and I had to make one of these stuffed ones. I didn’t eat it, but my roomie alley did and she gave it a 4, but said more cheese and beans. She is right, so I lowered the rating because I hate bell peppers. The rice is AMAZING and you can put it with anything, and with this bell pepper it’s perfect...unless you hate them. Add more layers of cheese and beans than I did.