Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 204: Coconut Sriracha Shrimp

Yield: 6 large shrimp/prawns
Time (Start to Finish): 1 hour

Ingredients:
1 egg
¼ cup flour
¼ cup beer
¾ tsp baking powder
1 cup coconut
6-8 shrimp
3 Tbsp sriracha
2 cups oil for frying
salt and pepper

Directions:
1. In a pot, place the oil with a cooking thermometer in it, or use a deep dryer. Heat oil to 350F
2. In a bowl, place the flour and baking powder, salt and pepper and mix
3. In a separate bowl, place the coconut with a sprinkle of flour
4. In a third bowl, place the egg, beer and sriracha and combine. You can add more sriracha if you like
5. Take shrimp, cleaned, and place in flour, and then in beer mixture, and then coconut and set aside. MAKE SURE THE COCONUT IS SOAKED THROUGH BEFORE COOKING
6. Fry shrimp according to directions in your fryer, or in the oil until they are brown and cooked all the way though
7. Enjoy with more sriracha!

Rating: 2 strawberries
Notes: Ok, this recipe is a great idea, but let me tell you, I fudged it BIG time. I didn’t let the coconut soak all the way and when you throw it in the oil, it burns, and then the shrimp isn’t cook in the middle. It was a disaster. The crust tasted GREAT though, so if you plan in doing this, use a different recipe, but same idea. It was a VERY good idea, just not done well. This is my first bust…not bad for over half way done with my project. I gave it a 2 because the idea was a good one, and I know I can make these right next time, and I even think the ratios I used are ok, just the oil should be lower, and the coconut moist. Good luck, and sorry!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

first of all, i don't know what sriracha is. what is it? i guess i could look it up, but i want YOU to tell me, miss beautiful. Second, I am going to try it, and i am not going to use another recipe. i love annie capell.
-cyd