Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 216: Pupusas

Yield: 4 pupusas
Time (Start to Finish): 1.5 hours

Ingredients:
2 cups corn flour
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper
1 cup warm water
1 cup mozzarella cheese
olive oil

saracha sauce (for dippin!)

Directions:
1. Put the flour in a bowl, and mix with salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste ( I added too much cayenne, so watch out!)
2. Add the warm water and mix. You may need to add a little more. You want it to form a ball, but not be dry. Cover it and let it sit for 10 min
3. Form dough into 8 balls
4. Take 1 ball, make a hole it it, and fill it with a lot of cheese
5. Press another ball on top making sure the cheese isn’t exposed, and with a rolling pin, flatten it
6. Get a skillet and heat it to med high. Add olive oil
7. Fry the pupusas on each side until they turn brown and serve with saracha sauce for a treat!

Rating: 4 strawberries
Notes: These turned out well, but if I were you, I would overdoit on the cheese. I needed to add way more. I would also add a little oil to the dough, because they tasted a little dry to me. Also, I added too much cayenne, so take it easy on that! Thanks to those who helped out, mainly mac who ate almost all them! These are a Salvadoran treat that I used to get in New York street festivals all the time and I love them. I hope you love them too!

No comments: