Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day 62: Cheeseburgers

Yield: 3 burgers
Time (Start to Finish): 45min- 1 hr.

Ingredients:
1 med onion, yellow
1 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper

1 pound ground beef

1 med tomato
1 med avocado
6 slices asiago cheese
spinach

3 brioche buns

condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo)

Directions:
1. Patience when caramelizing onions…it will be worth it every time. Take it slow. It will take about half an hour.
2. Chop onions into bite size pieces or as small as you can. You will be mixing them into the burger meat.
3. In a skillet pan on med heat, put the onion, butter, salt and pepper and cook until the onions are golden colored. That is where the flavor is!
4. In a bowl, mix the burger meat with the onions, salt and pepper.
5. Make into 3 burgers and cook how you like…on a grill, or a frying pan. I cooked mine on a frying pan over med until they were med well. Took about 3 minutes per side.
6. When they are done, set them aside and cut the buns in half.
7. Toast both sides of the bun on the pan/grill and then add the cheese to the bun
8. Take the tomato and slice it. Take the avocado and smash it in a bowl.
9. Add the avocado to one side of the bun, a slice of tomato, spinach and any condiments you like. I like ketchup. Enjoy!

Rating: 4 strawberries
Notes: Yet again caramelized onions change a basic meal into an incredible one. Lucy and I made burgers and the onions just made the dish. Also, the avocado rocked the house. This is a take on the Del’s burger down in San Diego. My mom just went down there and she told me about this burger and I had to have it! The only problem was I learned that burgers shrink when you cook them, so they were a lot smaller than the buns. Next time I would flatten them down much more than I did and make them a little bigger than the buns. Other than that, yet another great meal…and its one of my first meat dishes in this blog! As you guys know I don’t normally cook as much as I bake, so it was a nice little challenge. Ill try to do more things like this in the future.

No comments: