Monday, October 12, 2009

Day 67: Savory Dutch Baby



Yield: 4-5 peeps
Time (Start to Finish): 40-50 min

Ingredients:
¾ cup green onions
½ Tbsp butter
salt and pepper

1 ¼ cup flour
5 eggs
1 ½ cup milk

1 cup cheddar cheese
¼ cup Italian parsley

2 Tbsp butter

Directions:
1. Chop the green onions and cook on a skillet with butter, sald and pepper until they are soft and cooked. Should take about 5 min.
2. Shred the cheddar cheese, and chop up the parsley.
3. Preheat oven to 400F
4. Take a 9 inch cast ion skillet and melt the 2 Tbsp of butter in it.
5. In a blender, blend the flour, eggs and milk until smooth
6. Pour into the cast iron skillet, and then sprinkle on the onions, cheese and parsley. You can add salt and pepper to the flour mixture
7. Bake for about 25 min or until it poofs up, begins to fall, and the edges are browning
8. Serve with bacon and syrup!

Rating: 4.5 strawberries
Notes: This was my first dish while on my week long vacation in Portland, and a HUGE shout out to Meghan, Sarah, Pete and Baby Drew for helping me out, letting me stay, and showing me this great recipe! They don’t add the savory items, but lemon juice and powdered sugar, so I think their minds were blown with a savory version. My mind was blown because I had never even heard of a dutch baby! What’s great about sprinkling the stuff on top is you get a nice pie like crust on the bottom, which is yummy. Thanks again guys! And your kitchen rocks my socks.
a perfect start to a day filled with bakeries and handball

No comments: