Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day 75: Salted Walnut Caramels


Yield: 1 8x8 inch pan
Time (Start to Finish): 25 min plus cooling time (2 hours)

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
2 cups brown sugar (light or dark)
1 cup corn syrup
1 Tbsp vanilla
¾ cup walnuts
coarse sea salt

Directions:
1. Grease a 8x8 pan with cooking spray
2. In a big saucepot, mix everything but the vanilla, walnuts and salt over med high
3. When it is all combined and the butter is melted, insert a candy thermometer, or one you would use to cook a turkey. Just make sure it goes past 250 degrees.
4. Constantly stirring, cook the mixture until it reaches 235 degrees, and turn off the heat
5. Stir for a little bit until the bubbles start to go down, then add the vanilla and nuts
6. Stir for a little bit and then pour into the greased dish. Let sit for about 10-15 min, and then sprinkle on top the sea salt. If you do it too early, it will melt it
7. Let cool on counter or in fridge until cold to the touch, then you can cut, and individually wrap. I suggest storing in the refrigerator.

Rating: 4.5 strawberries
Notes: I was sick as a dog today. I didn’t leave the house, and barely was awake, so this was something I made from things I found in my cabinet. Luckily, this project has kept me pretty well stocked in random things. These are just the most delicious caramels, but they do tend to melt pretty easily, so keep them chilled and they last longer. I cant wait until I am well enough to taste them. I can EAT them, but no nose is stuffed, so flavor is lacking. These don’t take too long to make, and really aren’t too difficult. Enjoy them!

No comments: