Yield: 8 small scones
Time (Start to Finish): 1 hour
½ med yellow onion
1 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper
3 strips bacon
1 cup flour
1/8 cup sugar
½ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
½ stick butter, cold and in pieces
1/3 cup half and half
¼ cup goat cheese
splash of milk or egg wash
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Again with the caramelizing onions, it is important to be patient and trust that the time it takes to make them is worth it in the final product.
3. In a frying pan, put the onion, chopped into small pieces, butter, salt and pepper.
4. Cook for about half an hour until they are a caramelly brown. Keep stirring them, and then set aside.
5. Cook the 3 strips of bacon in the same frying pan until they are cooked through. You can cook the bacon however you like as long as it is cooked through! Then cut it into little pieces so they can be evenly distributed in the scones.
6. In a bowl, put the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix up.
7. Add the cold butter and rub the butter into the flour with your hands. You want it to resemble corn meal, and you don’t want to heat the butter up, you want it to stay in small pieces, so mix fast with your hands.
8. Add the milk and mix with hands until it is about to come together. Then throw in the bacon, onions, and goat cheese torn into med size pieces, about the size of the tip of your pinky finger.
9. Mix until it comes into a ball and bacon onion and cheese is even, and flatten into a disk about an inch high.
10. In a separate bowl, put the milk, or the egg wash, which is 1 egg with a dash of cream. With your finger, rub it on top to make it shine after baking. There will be a lot left over if you use the egg wash, so you can just use a little milk if you want.
11. Cut into 8 slices and place on a baking sheet with them each having some elbow room
12. Bake for 15-20 min or until they just begin to brown on the bottoms. Its best to serve them warm.
Rating: 5 strawberries
Notes: These fresh out of the oven is the most amazing thing you will ever eat…this is another 5!!!!! They are perfect! They cook great, they are sweet enough, the onions again make the scones, and the bacon makes you feel like you are getting a full breakfast in one bite! The goat cheese is a great addition, but feel free to add cheddar or another cheese. Some people add green onions, but I feel caramelizing them is what makes them great. I ate 2 right away and then gave some away to people who only agreed they were great. Travis at work almost instantly asked for the recipe so he could make them for his trip to Yosemite. How flattering!! You simply must try these, and im telling you, they are a great start to the morning.