Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 295: Orange Spread


Yield: 2 cups
Time (Start to Finish): 2 hours

Ingredients:
½ cup orange juice
1 Tbsp orange zest
3-4 strawberries
1 package powdered fruit pectin
1 oz grand marnier (orange liquor)
2 ½ cups sugar

Directions:
1. In a sauce pan, combine the strawberries, orange juice and peel.
2. Add the pectin while stirring
3. Bring mixture to a boil over med high heat while stirring
4. Add the sugar and bring it back to a boil, still stirring, and boil for about a minute
5. Remove from the heat, add the grand marnier, skim off the foam on top
6. Put into a container or jar and let it come to room temp. cover it, let it sit for a few hour at room temp, and then store in fridge.

Rating: 3.5 strawberries
Notes: This is pretty good, and I had left over sourdough bread, so it was nice on that, but I don’t know if it was worth the trouble for me. You might like it though! You can leave out the grand marnier, but the flavor will be more of a strawberry mix. The berries add flavor and color. I love jellys and jams, and this is a nice one. You can even put it on a pb and j, so try this if you are interested in an experiment. It was fun, and nice, but I don’t think spreads like this are my thing! I know the taste is good though!

No comments: