Yield: 3 dozen truffles
Time (Start to Finish): 2 hours
10 oz Choc Chips (almost a full bag)
½ cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp peppermint oil
cocoa powder (for rolling)
1. Put chocolate chips and mint oil in a bowl and set aside.
2. In a sauce pan, heat the milk and butter until just reaches a boil
3. Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips and stir with a whisk until smooth. Taste and add more mint oil if you want.
4. Place bowl in freezer for 20 min. stir with a spoon. Continue until it reaches the consistency of play dough.
5. Take out of freezer. In a separate bowl place cocoa powder.
6. Take dough into hands and roll into 1 inch balls and then roll in the powder. Do this quickly because as you see it will melt in your hands. They do NOT need to be perfect balls as real truffles are not perfect.
7. Place back into freezer or fridge and store until ready to eat! Can freeze up to a month, but always bring to room temp before serving.
Rating: 5 strawberries
Notes: I don’t think anything is better than mint and chocolate (well, maybe strawberries and chocolate) These are SO GOOD and so easy to eat. Great for after dinner or bringing to meet someone’s parents. Here’s a bit of info you can spread along. A REAL truffle is a mushroom found in france and spain.(there is a picture of it above!) It is buried deep under oak and beech trees and is very hard to find. They train pigs to find them actually! (I guess dogs eat them when they find them) they look like lumps of dirt, hence the chocolate truffle looking like a lump of dirt. They are VERY expensive, and taste very earthy…I like them. So that’s the facts!! Now onto me: These took no time to make and made no noise to wake the sleeping roomies. They are going to be great to give to Sarah who is visiting, and a few to my mom when we go to farmers market today.