Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day 56: Yummy Shortbread Cookies



Yield: 15 cookies
Time (Start to Finish): 45 min

Ingredients:
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup powdered sugar
½ tsp vanilla
1 ½ cup flour
1/8 tsp nutmeg

2 Tbsp milk
sprinkles

Directions:
1. Make sure the butter is nice and soft.
2. In a bowl, mix the butter and the powdered sugar (SIFTED) until smooth.
3. Add the vanilla, flour, and nutmeg and mix with your hand until it is blended and forms a ball
4. In a piece of plastic wrap, place the dough and roll into a log (make the diameter the size you want the cookies to be) and place in the fridge for about 15 min or until firm.
5. Preheat oven to 350F.
6. Slice the cookies to the thickness you like with a sharp hot knife (you can make it hot by dipping or running in hot water and then drying it off and slicing) I cut mine about ½ inch thick
7. Place on a lined sheet pan. You can fix their shape with your hand. You can also make this dough a roll and cut out.
8. Take the milk and with your finger and wet the top of each cookie and then sprinkle on the sprinkles!
9. Bake at 350F for 15 min or until barely browning on the edges. Let cook, and enjoy with a cold glass of milk.

Rating: 4 strawberries
Notes: What better to do after going to the dentist and getting a perfect check up than make cookies! They said I had perfect teeth, and I giggled to myself remembering I ate candy for breakfast…I do take good care of them though. I made these in another guest kitchen, my parents, and although it looks lovely from the outside, let me tell you, it is a chefs test. The oven is off in temp and level, she only has one sheetpan, her whisk has 3 wires, and trying to find a knife is like pulling teeth…it’s a wonder the meals I see come out of there from her…I don’t know how she does it! Needless to say, my dad loves shortbreads, so I made these for him, and he could barely wait for them to come out of the oven! It was a wonderful night of laundry, House, burgers, cooking, and laughing. I love having them close. Add whatever color sprinkles you like…these were all my mom had (oh, I HATE those little round colored sprinkles…I HATE THEM, but these sugar flakes I like).

No comments: