Sunday, September 27, 2009

Day 58: Peach Pluotcicles

Yield: 2 ice cube trays
Time (Start to Finish): 20 min + freezing time (4 hours)

Ingredients:
1 med size yellow peach
3 med size pluots (a plum apricot fruit hybrid)
2 limes
toothpicks/sticks
sugar if too tart (I didn’t add any to mine

Directions:
1. Make sure ice cube trays are cleaned and ready. You can use any shape or popsicle molds. I am poor and don’t have any.
2. Peel and slice the peaches and pluots. Make sure both are ripe. It is all about the fruit on this one.
3. Place them in the blender, add the juice of both lemons and blend until smooth.
4. Taste it at this point. I wanted mine a little tart, but if they are too tart for your taste, feel free to add a little sugar to soften the flavor.
5. Pour through a strainer to get out all the pieces. I actually left a little skin on the pluots and after it was blended and strained, I put it onto the mixture. I wanted a little texture, but not huge chunks.
6. Pour into the ice cube molds and place sticks or toothpicks into each cube. Heres a trick. After you pour in the mixture, cover the tray with plastic wrap and poke the toothpick through the plastic so that it stands up in the center! Cool huh? My trays had long shaped cubes, so I just put the sticks on the side.
7. Place in freezer for about 3-4 hours until chilled and remove from the tray NOT by pulling the toothpick. Use a knife on the side. Pulling the stick may pop the stick out.

Rating: 4 strawberries
Notes: it was a hot Sunday here in San Fran, and this was a delightful way to cool off. I got the idea after attending the most incredible farmers market a couple weeks ago, the ferry building. I had a plum lime popsicle, and my heart was forever stolen. It was tart, crisp and yummy. These are tart in memory of that, and I like them that way, but again, you can adjust the sweetness with a little sugar. Right now though, mine have No Added Sugar! Coolness!! Enjoy and feel free to try it with different fruit combinations.

1 comment: