Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day 57: Cinnamon Bread French Toast

Yield: 3 slices, I serving
Time (Start to Finish): 20 min

Ingredients:
3 slices cinnamon bread

1 egg
½ cup half and half (haha, half a cup of half and half)
¼ tsp nutmeg

2 Tbsp butter

1 small apple
¼ cup granulated sugar

maple syrup

Directions:
1. Preheat a skillet pan to med high.
2. In a shallow bowl, mix the egg, half and half and nutmeg with a fork or whisk.
3. Add 1 Tbsp butter to the pan. Dip the bread in the mixture, coating both sides, and then put on the pan.
4. Cook each side until brown. It will cook fast from the sugar in the bread, so stay near it.
5. In the meantime, cut up the apple into small pieces. I left the skin on but you can take it off if you want.
6. When the toast is done, take it out and put it on your plate.
7. In the hot pan, add the other Tbsp of butter, the apple pieces and the sugar.
8. Stay with it and stir until the apples are cooked and it is caramelly and wonderful looking. It takes maybe 1 or 2 minutes.
9. Pour the mixture over the French toast, then pour syrup on top, and sit down before you take a bite, because it is gooood!

Rating: 4.5 strawberries
Notes: Why didn’t I think of this before! It is SO yummy, how can you ever eat French toast the same again!? (Unless you eat my chai French toast, so so good and different) This was a great way to start the day, especially one where I was feeling a little sick and low…and for no reason. And it made the house smell with such good flavors; it got everyone stirring…I love doing that I must say. There is nothing like starting off other peoples days with smiles. The day went to kind of poopy fast (with occasional burps of yummy French toast to make it ok!) and then I saw Julie/Julia. I will post a blurb about that since I am so often asked, ‘have you seen Julie/Julia? You sound just like her.’ In some ways I am, I have a blog, it is about food, but it is quite a different take. THIS post though, is about kick butt French toast! I love French toast, and I love cinnamon bread. This one I got was the gooey kind, so when it cooked, it crisped. Yumtown. (oh, and my spellcheck just capitalized Yumtown like it is a real place…I now have hope that it is…)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hawaiian bread is real good too!