Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 325: Barley Thyme Risotto



Yield: 2 servings
Time (Start to Finish): 1 hour

Ingredients:
½ yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
olive oil
salt and pepper
½ cup pearl barley
2-3 cups chicken stock
½ cup parmesan cheese
2 sprigs fresh thyme
½ lemon, juiced

Directions:
1. In a sauce pot on medium heat put the chopped onion, garlic cloves, olive oil, salt and pepper and stir until the onions become soft. You can put the garlic in later and caramelize the onion if you like.
2. Add the barley and stir for about 30 sec
3. In a separate pot, heat up the chicken stock
4. Add ½ cup chicken stock and stir until it becomes absorbed
5. Keep adding stock ½ cup at a time until the barley is soft and cooked through, but the mix is no longer soupy. You may need more chicken stock
6. When it is cooked through, add the parmesan cheese, fresh thyme and the lemon juice. Taste to adjust seasonings and serve

Rating: 4.5 strawberries
Notes: This just came to me while I was in the grocery store, and I know it has been done before, but I felt pretty smart to think it up. Barley is one of my favorite foods..beef barley soup I just can not top, and risotto is one of my favorite foods, so it was a perfect combo. This dish is really good, and go easy on the salt, the chicken stock and cheese are salty enough. This is also something you can easily save for later. I hope you guys like it! It is super hearty and a nice fireplace kind of meal.

No comments: