Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 335: Broccoli Cheddar Frittata


Yield: 2 people
Time (Start to Finish): 1 hour

Ingredients:
1 cup cheddar/broccoli mixture from soup
½ cup diced yellow onion
1 tsp butter
3 eggs
salt and pepper
½ cup cheddar cheese
¼ cup parmesan cheese
milk
salt and pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper

Directions:
1. From my soup yesterday I had strained it and there was broccoli mixture left over which I saved for this. You can just chop up and blend some broccoli with salt and pepper if you want
2. Preheat oven to 400F
3. Take the onion and cook with a little butter in a skillet until it is brown
4. Take the eggs in a bowl and whisk them
5. Add the onion, cheese (both), salt and pepper, cayenne, and if you need to a splash of milk
6. Pour into a greased oven proof casserole dish, small, so it comes up at least half an inch. You can sprinkle with cheese if you want
7. Bake until the eggs are firm. You can bake in a water bath if you are motivated.

Rating: 4 strawberries
Notes: Nothing better than a classic frittata, which is basically a quiche without the crust. It was nice to find a use for my left over broccoli cheese mixture, and also made me feel like I was having a healthy breakfast! I don’t know why the picture is so shiny, maybe because it is the frittata flipped upside down. With all the running I have been getting myself into, eggs in the morning are just the way to start the day. This goes great with fresh fruit and some yummy toast. I hope you like it!

No comments: